Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Smidgen

"You have to promise to use these!" My husband told me as he and my children proudly gave me a couple gifts on mothers day. Luckily I was wise enough to not commit, because this is what I opened:



Maybe I am alone, but I think they are sooooo charming! The little spoons don't have real measurements they say such cute things like:




My family must know me because I don't measure much. I throw in a bit of this and handful of that, but now I must use the word "smidgen"!


Measuring spoons, albeit largely unused, I have! What I do not have is much kitchen decor. So.... TADA!



Do you have something charming you could display on your wall? I will tell you the easy process of how I did it. Sorry ,but I did this b-4 I started this blog and so you can't see me actually gluing and such, but trust me: YOU CAN DO THIS!


First I found an old but deep frame at a second hand store whose picture, I am sad to say did not turn out. :( Next, take out the pictures/ boards in the center of the frame. If one of the boards are flat you can use it for your purposes, if not, cut one out of some good sturdy material.


Next, cut a piece of material about an inch and a half larger in diameter than your board. I chose a damask pattern because I adore damask!


Then put a good layer of Modge Podge on your board and smooth on the material making sure to center it well and to have no air bubbles. Turn your board over and using your glue gun, fold the excess material over and glue it down. When you get to the corners, fold them neatly & glue as well. When you are done you should have something like this (minus the brads).





Next, I got out a nail & hammered where I wanted my hanging hardware (brads), then I worked the brads in the nail holes, folded them over on the back and hot glued the backs.





On the back I cut a piece of felt the size of my board and hot glued it on to make it look neat.




I then put another layer of Modge Podge over the Damask material to add a little shine & to make it easier to wipe clean when it invariably collects dust and such.


FINALLY I primed & painted my frame...





...installed my charming Damask board, mounted it on my wall & hung my prized measuring spoons on the brads!





I love it! I feel like a treasured wife & mother anytime I see it, which is daily!!

**Don't you think my spoons are too cute to be used?

***I am linked up w/ The Shabby Chic Cottage, Blue Cricket Design & giveaways

11 comments:

  1. I totally love it, and I love it even more since I read and found out there is no glass on the front! How weird am I? I love damask too. It wallpapers some of the walls in my imaginary restored Victorian mansion that's in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You again are soo creative.. ;) And yes they are way to cute to be used...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the compliments, guys! & Erin, i would LOVE a tour of you imaginary house someday!! Glad I am not the only damask lover out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have seen these at a local boutique and thought they were adorable. What a super cute way to display them! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. The spoons are sooo cute! I measure everything, so they wouldn't be functional for me. But they make a lovely wall display!

    I would love for you to join in on the fun for all three of my linky parties:

    ASK THE YANKEE - MONDAYS
    TIPS & TRICKS TUESDAY
    TIME TRAVEL THURSDAY

    You can get the details here:

    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/2010/06/brambleberry-cottage-linky-party.html

    Each party runs for six days, so come on by!

    Hope to see ya there!
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh those are adorable spoons! I love the display.

    I am hosting a giveaway and I'd love it if you stopped by!

    Laura @ along for the ride

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the spoons...but I would use them. Then when you look at them over the years you will think of all the fun times you had baking and cooking in your kitchen, with your kids. If you don't use them, you'll just think they are cute, but they won't hold any special memories for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's very cute! I love the spoons and anything damask.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love This & great job!!Hi..I’m Barb….I am from Shappy Chic Cottage... I am your newest follower. I hope you will get a chance to visit my blog @ santasgiftshoppe.blogspot.com
    & get inspired by something for your family/home. I hope you will follow me as well. Nice to meet ya new friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Of course, I had to check out your shop too. Thanks for the heart and I hearted you too. I love the yellow and black polka dot flowers. I think that I like just about everything yellow these days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are too cute to use! A girlfriend had some porcelain measuring cups and she was sad when her husband inevitably broke one. It's a great idea to frame them!

    ReplyDelete